Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Why So Rude?

Anyone who knows me well, knows that I have been known to have a bit of a tantrum during my morning commute on the bus. However in my defense really it was only once and it was after a woman had to offer her seat to an old man with a cane, while four men averted their eyes. Nope, I was not that woman. She was a far better person than I was that day. I admit I was not quick to jump up. If all of the deadbeat men continued to sit on their rumps while the old man with the cane and the limp had to stand I would have offered my seat. I was giving the men ample time to prove that one of them was indeed a gentlemen. For some reason on this particular day this greatly annoyed me so I proceeded to not exactly yell but lecture in a high pitched voice not just those men but all the men on the bus about their general lack of respect.( I know, I know that might have been a little much for 8 a.m. but I was worked up. And yes I also know it was unfair to include all men in my tirade as all men don't sit on their butts while the pregnant, old, and ailing stand) During my little fit one man looked away, one man looked stunned, and one man hung his head in shame. Really that is what they all should have been doing, but one actually had the nerve to say something smart assed to me. As this was a couple of months ago I can not remember exactly what he said but whatever it was, it infuriated me and lets just say we exchanged words. However I maintain I did not cuss. The last thing I remember saying to him before I got off the bus was, "your mother must be so proud" and that finally shut him the hell up! As I was leaving the bus driver said to me you are exactly right ma'am. Also I am happy to report the one man who hung his head in shame now regularly offers his seat to the elderly. Yes I yelled at the people I see pretty much every day on my way to work. No one has ever accused me of being timid. Maybe of being a rabblerouser and self-rightous but at least I have manners and respect the elderly. Hrmmph!

The above is a long lead in to what I saw today on the bus. A man, a boy really since he was probably between 18 and 21 years of age, sat confidently in a seat while his large duffel bag sat on the seat next to him. Now sometimes we have to travel with a suitcase and we do that shuffle where we try to take up as little space as possible but sometimes us and the huge suitcase are just going to need two seats. This was not the case. He could have and should have put that duffel on his lap. I really, really, very much wanted to say something to him but as I had seat; it was none of my business. And while I can be a little nervy I still operate under the theories of: mind your business and don't bother people and they won't bother you. As I was not personally being inconvenienced by his rudeness; I kept my mouth shut as he probably would have found it bothersome to hear what I thought about him and his duffel, thus violating one of my operating theories. Also, people are crazy today. However if didn't have a seat I would have politely told him to move his bag. Who were all these timid people on the bus who stood all the way to work while holding onto those wholly inadequate loops as they tried not to be thrown about the bus, while he and his duffel sat. I guess that is a whole different topic. The bible does say the meek will inherit the earth, yeah well they also will stand on their way to work while an inanimate object and its owner sits.

Shalina recommends not being rude and selfish on the morning commute, especially if you ride the 8 bus South as I will take a picture or video of you misbehaving.
Video below.

No comments:

Post a Comment