Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Shalina Recommends: Taking the Plunge!

The Polar Bear Plunge that is. Jumping into Lake Michigan on January 1 at Noon with the rest of the loony population is by far one of the craziest things I have ever done, but it was also the most fun that I've had in a long time. No matter that my toes were tingly and numb until the next day. I vigorously recommend it to all who don't have heart disease. It was definitely a shock to the system being a former athlete who has had many sessions in the cold tub, I wrongly concluded that I had been in water that cold before. In fact when my Dad called me an idiot or dufless or something to that affect when I told him my plan. I smugly told him that I routinely had to sit in a cold tub with water between the temperature of 38-40 degrees for upwards of 20 minutes and that I would be fine. I also informed him that Lake Michigan never gets cold enough to freeze so it probably wouldn't be much colder than a cold tub. Well I was wrong! wrong! wrong! on all accounts. It was shall we say "f"ing freezing! With huge chunks of jagged ice floating by. It was most certainly colder than a cold tub. And even if it wasn't the actual air temperature was also something that I failed to consider. Why the thought never occurred to me that when you are in a cold tub for athletic rehabilitation purposes you are in a nice warm room. Not outside with freezing temperatures and cold wind. Although it was the perfect day for a winter dip. Sunny with no high winds. Freezing high wind and a gloomy day would have been definite deterrents.



I have officially crossed an item off my Life List. I am not sure exactly sure when Polar Bear Plunge was added to my Life List but it is definitely crossed off now.

Since It is not only a new year but a new decade; I believe it is the perfect time to began a new way of living. My plan is to be more spontaneous, adventurous, and spend more time doing things I consider fun. Which includes running around the city attending and participating in random events. What better way than to take the Polar Bear Plunge to start my mission. I will also chronicle my attempt at being more adventurous on this blog Shalina Recommends. It admittedly is my third attempt at blogging you can see my other short lived tries here and here. This time I will follow through. Hopefully. And since this latest attemptt at blogging is going to be all about me I shouldn't lose interest. You may (my imaginary followers) but at the very least I shouldn't. Narcissistic perhaps but true. Oh and if you have any idea on what new adventure I can tackle let me know.

By the way if you are interested in taking the Plunge it's not too late. There is another chance at the end of the month with the Lakeview Polar Bear Club.

No comments:

Post a Comment