Monday, March 15, 2010

Five Must See Documentaries

I love documentaries and I predict that one day I will produce or direct one but in the meantime. I watch them all the time. So here are clips for my short list of must sees in no particular order.

 
1. Man On A Wire
ummm what it the world someone to rig a tightrope between the two Twin Towers and dance upon it for twenty minutes, this documentary follows the genius, and madness of Phillipe Pettit who convinced several of his friends to plan this feat for 6 years and did exactly that. When asked by reporters why he did it, he said, "there is no why" Later he challenged, "Life should be lived on the edge, see every day as a true challenge and then you live your life on a tightrope."







2. FLOW
I confess I am bottled water drinker. Always have been and thought I always would be. I drink strictly bottled spring water. I don't care what kind as long as it is spring and not distilled. I can easily tell the difference between distilled and spring and am not a fan of that distctly mettalic taste distilled water has. I  love everything about bottled water the smell of no smell the taste of no taste.  But now that I've seen Flow I've sworn off bottled water. Well kind of I still have a pantry full of a bulk size pallette. But after that's gone I'm done. After seeing the shenanigans of these water bottling and purifying companies which basically consists of bottling tap water and selling it as if they got it from some pristine glacier in Canada I see that it is not worth the money. I'll just drink tap.  Don't even let me get started about how they are infiltrating third world countries convincing local governments to let them "clean" and privatize the water, monopolizing the local water sources, shutting down previous sources and making these poor, poor, people pay for water even though they can't afford it. Oh and we're running out of water. This guy who I dated last summer who will remain nameless claimed this is one of the reasons why he doesn't want kids, because there are already too many people on the earth and our water is about twenty years away from being scarce, and though I thought this was proof of him being a nutcase, baby hating, environmentalist after watching this movie I see his point. Wired Magazine called it one of the scariest movies at Sundance Film Festival. Watch it. And then buy stock in these awful companies if you want to be rich since the basically own the water and we're running out you do the math.







3. Every Little Step
This movie is for anyone who has ever wanted to be a dancer,taken a dance class, or even watched a dance. It follows the Broadway revival of  A Chorus Line. As you watch and see these dancers longing for an opportunity to land one of these roles, you root for them and want all of them to succeed but you know most will be disappointed. It's like watching a dream die and for others watching a dream come true. It also tells the story of the original cast members and producers and how A Chorus Line become such a phenomenal hit.





4. Oh My God.
So full disclosure the next two I haven't seen yet. But on the trails the cinematography alone is going to be amazing*. I can't even describe how much I want to see it. It's already been released but didn't come to Chicago I am not sure why I went to their website and requested a screening and as of yet have not heard back. It should be on Netflix at some point though.





5. BABIES, this one comes out soon. Follow the life of four babies in four different places around the world.
You'll have to click on this one You Tube won't let me embede.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vupEpNjCuY






*I have to stop using this word. Someone please send me a list of synonyms. Thank you.

1 comment:

  1. I love documentaries too. The only one on your list that I've seen is "Flow." The drive to privatize water supplies in various countries (as well as some U.S. communities) is a scary development. It caused a revolt in Bolivia a few years ago. Privatization of the water made it unaffordable for most indigenous people there. They began to collect rainwater and the authorities arrested them for it(!)

    One soon-to-be-released documentary with a similar theme which you might find interesting is "Collapse": http://www.collapsemovie.com/

    Kent

    ReplyDelete